FAQ - Admissions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for admission?

You can apply online or download and print a paper application and send it to the admissions office.

How do I contact admissions for a tour of the campus?

Contact the admissions office at 740-568-1900 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we’d be glad to help you make an appointment.

Do I need to take the ACT or SAT in order to apply to Washington State?

Washington State is an open enrollment institution and does not require ACT/SAT scores for general admission to the college. However, our health science programs have different requirements, which may include ACT or SAT scores. Please contact the admissions office at 740-568-1900 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to have a health science program packet sent to you.

What is Open Admission? What is Selective Admissions?

Open Admission means that anyone who wants to go to Washington State Community College can. Selective Admissions means that there are requirements that must be met in order to gain Admissions. Washington State has an open Admission policy with the exception of Health Programs. Health programs have requirements that must be met in order to take the clinical courses required by the major.

When do classes start?

Washington State has three (3) terms: Fall, Spring, and Summer during the calendar year. There is also a Winter Intersession term from December to January. Refer to the Academic Calender to see when the next term begins. 

How much do classes cost and can I get Financial Aid?

The tuition depends on how many credit hours you take. Depending on which classes you take, there may be additional costs in the form of lab fees that you may be required to pay. Check with the Business Office to see exactly how much you owe for the current term. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. The first step is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA is an online form that you complete based on tax information. You’ll need to put in Washington State’s school code, 010453, which allows your information to be sent to Washington State. Once the Financial Aid Office has your information, they’ll be able to determine what type of aid for which you may be eligible. If you have any questions regarding financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 740-568-1908.

What if I have taken my ACT/SAT test?

WSCC offers an ACT/SAT crosswalk which compares scores with the ACCUPLACER Placement test. Test scores must be no more than 2-years old at the time of registration at WSCC.

Why do I need to take a placement test?

All new students who do not have any college credit need to take the ACCUPLACER placement test. All students who are applying to any of the health sciences programs at Washington State are required to take the assessment. This is the only way to accurately place students into reading, writing, and math classes that are best suited for that student's abilities. The placement test is there to help ensure student success. Please call 740-568-1930 for additional information or to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.

What is the ACCUPLACER placement test?

The ACCUPLACER is an online placement assessment that tests your English, math, and reading skills. It will assist the academic advisor in helping you create a class schedule that meets your educational needs.

Where do I go to take the ACCUPLACER placement test?

The ACCUPLACER placement test is done in the Student Services lab. Please call 740-568-1930 or stop by the Student Services desk to schedule an appointment.

I’ve attended another college or university. Will any of my credits transfer to Washington State?

In order to determine if any of your credits from another college or university will transfer in as credit at Washington State, you’ll need to have those colleges or universities you've attended send in your transcript(s). Our Records Office will evaluate your transcripts to determine what credit, if any, will be given.

Can I transfer from Washington State to another college or university?

Of course! Our students have great success when transferring from Washington State to another college or university to complete their 4-year degree. For more information regarding transferring, please visit the transfer section of the Washington State web site.

I would like to take classes that will transfer to another institution I'm attending. Can I do that at Washington State?

Yes. In this situation, you would enroll at Washington State as a transient student (refer to Visiting or Personal Interest/Career Development Student page). To apply, transient students must supply the registrar with a statement from the dean or registrar of the institution regularly attended describing the student’s current status, along with a recommendation to accept Washington State.

I previously attended Washington State and want to return. What do I need to do?

Welcome back! Please submit a new application for admission. If you would like a paper application for general admission to WSCC or an application packet for one of our health programs, please contact Admissions at 740.568.1900 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. You will need to apply for financial aid using the FAFSA form. You’ll need to meet with an academic advisor to create your schedule and register for classes. The Records Office provides downloadable forms for students who need to change their name or address.

How do I know who my academic advisor is?

If this is your first term at Washington State, you’ll meet with a first time academic advisor in the Student Services Office after you complete the ACCUPLACER placement assessment. Beyond your first term, you’ll be assigned an academic advisor based on which major you have selected. If you have any questions regarding your academic advisor, please see the department chair or dean of your chosen academic area or stop by the Records Office.

If you are returning to Washington State, please call the Student Services Office to set up an appointment with an academic advisor. The advisor will help you select courses based on your educational goals and placement assessment results.

Can I audit a class?

Students can choose to audit a class, which means that they will not receive credit for the class. Also, classes that are audited can not be counted towards graduation requirements and are not included in the computation of the cumulative grade point average.

This Transcript says that it is official, why won't the Records Office accept it?

For the Records Office to accept an official transcript, it needs to be in a sealed envelope. If the envelope has been opened, the transcript becomes unofficial. When a school gives you a copy of your transcript in a sealed envelope to give to another school, do not open it.


You are here: Home Admissions FAQ


email-icon-blue CONTACT US

  • Washington State Community College
  • 710 Colegate Drive
  • Marietta, Ohio 45750 USA
  • 740.374-8716
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.