The people who keep us on the move today are more than just mechanics. Today's technicians are skilled in all aspects of vehicle service, maintenance, and business operations of the garage. Employers in the Engineering and Industrial Technologies diesel truck business are looking for well-rounded employees with management and mechanical skills.
Our diesel truck systems technology program features a large laboratory with state-of-the-art equipment for practical, hand-on experience. Students learn the use of conventional tools, as well as the new computerized engine analyzers. They explore every aspect of diesel truck operations by servicing and repairing working vehicles and components. The entire program is reinforced with business management skills, including the use of computers in the service and parts area.
- Demonstrate professional work habits such as:
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Cooperation with co-workers
- SafetyASE certification info
- Diagnose and repair electrical and mechanical problems using the appropriate service information.
- Diagnose, repair, rebuild automatic transmissions, manual transmissions, and drive lines with limited supervision.
- Measure engine parts using proper measuring instruments.
- Perform complete brake service, including anti-lock brake systems.
- Diagnose and repair steering and suspension problems, including alignment procedures with limited supervision.
- Perform duties of a service writer and service technician with limited supervision.
- Disassemble, inspect and rebuild gas and diesel engines using the appropriate service information.
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt to new technology and pass ASE Certification tests.
The diesel truck systems program is part of the reciprocity agreement with West Virginia University at Parkersburg. Through the agreement, some West Virginia residents may pay Ohio in-state tuition rates to attend Washington State. Learn more about the reciprocity program here.
Career opportunities in automotive and diesel truck systems include:
- Diesel Technician
- Field Test Technician
- Service Technician
- Parts Manager
- Service Manager
- Sales Positions
Successful completion of the Diesel Truck Systems program leads to an Associate of Applied Science degree.
Contact to learn more:
740.374.8716, ext. 1853
740.374.8716, ext. 1852