Would You Like to Take a Glimpse Behind the Badge?
Have you ever wondered what police officers do all day or why they run radar at a specific location? Would you like to see inside a dispatch center? How about an up-close look at a police helicopter? You can find answers to all of your questions by enrolling in the Mid Ohio Valley Citizens Police Academy.
You'll get hands-on instruction from expert Public Safety officials from all over the Mid-Ohio Valley and you'll have plenty of opportunities to ask questions. The goal is to give you a better understanding of the work done by those in the public safety arena and a greater awareness of the daily challenges faced by our public safety officials.
Requirements for admittance into our Citizens Police Academy are:
Background check. Students are required to submit to and pass a criminal history background check in Wood and Washington Counties. Disqualification based on criminal convictions is determined by the Public Safety Academies Commander at WSCC. Background checks are to be obtained from both the Wood County, WV Magistrate's Court (208 Avery Street Parkersburg, WV, 304-422-3444) and the Marietta Municipal Court (301 Putnam Street Marietta, OH, 740-373-4474). The attached form and any copies of a record are to be completed and returned to John Burdette at Washington State Community College no later than March 7, 2012.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Complete the WSCC application process.
- Attend the mandatory orientation/ information session.
- Live in the Mid-Ohio Valley area.
Attendance at the academy is $45 for all students. Students will register at Washington State and receive a certificate of attendance for completion of the academy.
- Total time commitment is 35 hours over 10 weeks.
- Classes meet on Wednesdays from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Graduation is on May 9 in room AS106.
- Class locations rotate around to public safety facilities throughout the mid Ohio Valley.
- Due to the popularity of this class, you're asked to commit to attending at least eight of the 10 sessions.
- No transportation provided.
- Parkersburg Police Department
- Washington County Sheriff's Office
- Wood County Sheriff's Office
- Washington County Prosecutor's Office
- Marietta College Campus Police Department
- Wood County 9-1-1 Center
- Vienna Police Department
- Belpre Police Department
- Ohio Highway Patrol
- WV State Police
- Washington County Juvenile Court Probation Department
Contact to learn more:
John R Burdette
Public Safety Academies Commander
Washington State Community College
710 Colegate Drive, Marietta, OH 45750
740-374-8716, ext 1540