Vice President of Finance
About the Position
Washington State Community College invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice President of Finance.
As the chief financial officer for the College, The Vice President of Finance (VPF) is a dynamic and organized leader who sets the tone for efficient and effective operation of all financial endeavors. The VPF is a strategic thinker who reports directly to the President of the College and works collaboratively with all departments within the College.
The VPF position provides effective leadership and direction in innovation, planning, policy development, budget process/ allocation, and program evaluation. The VPF has oversight of improvement for fiscal, physical plant, logistics, and assigned auxiliary services. This position serves as the Treasurer of the College.
Qualified candidates must hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution and be a Certified Public Account. A master’s degree or MBA, as well as experience in public sector accounting, is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have a skill set that includes strength in internal controls, budgeting, financial forecasting/planning, financial analysis, and operating efficiencies. Senior level administration/supervisory experience is desired and community college experience is a plus.
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT: The VPF manages the efficient and effective use of the college’s fiscal, physical, and assigned auxiliary resources. The VPF ensures the deposit and/or investment of all college funds in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code and serves as Treasurer of the college. This position serves as the primary liaison with external agencies relative to finance, health insurance, facilities, and auxiliary services. Additionally, this position maintains appropriate insurance programs and provides assurance of coverage of all college property and bonds as prescribed by Board policy.
- STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP: The VPF leads the development and administration of a comprehensive financial plan that supports the mission, vision, and goals of the college. The position leads the college’s efforts to secure resources, revenue, and innovative funding opportunities. The VPF stays current and knowledgeable regarding changing and emerging trends in higher education and finances. The VPF supports the President in matters relating to the organization’s fiscal health.
- GOVERNANCE AND COMPLIANCE: The VPF advises the President on finance and operations matters and manages the development and execution of contracts, agreements, and special projects as assigned by the President. The VPF serves on and assists the President’s Executive Cabinet to establish, review, and implement the college’s strategic plan. This includes development of a financial vision for the College that is congruent with the College’s mission, vision, and goals. The VPF leads the collaborative budget development process, insurance and benefits process, and prepares and manages institutional budgets. The VPF develops, reviews, and administers contracts between the College and external entities.
- HUMAN CAPITAL: The VPF develops and recommends objectives, policies, procedures, staff development, and program improvements that are relative to all elements of fiscal and operational reporting areas. The VPF supervises the activities and evaluates the performance of department heads for assigned areas including the Controller, Director of Facilities and Maintenance, and contractors. In addition, the VPF serves on other community and College committees.
- OVERSIGHT, IMPLEMENTATION, AND IMPROVEMENT: The VPF supervises Director of Facilities and Maintenance to ensure campus safety and the overall care and improvement of the physical facility and grounds. The VPF supports building and capital construction projects. This includes identifying means for funding, improving efficiencies, compliance, and reporting related to safety.
- PROFESSIONALISM AND QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE: The VPF will demonstrate professionalism and provide quality customer service in accordance with the college’s values. This includes maintaining positive working relationships, confidentiality, effective communication, accurate records, and an organized and safe working environment. Additionally, it includes exhibiting flexibility, a willingness to learn, ability to change, and maintaining current technology skills.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a business-related field, from a regionally or nationally accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Master’s degree or MBA preferred.
- Must be a Certified Public Account (CPA).
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible management experience including organization-wide financial accountability. Senior-level administrative/ supervisory experience desired.
- Skillset to include strength in internal controls, budgeting, financial forecasting/planning, financial analysis and operating efficiencies. Experience in public sector accounting a plus.
Washington State Community College (WSCC) is a two-year community college nestled on 180 acres of rolling, wooded hills in Marietta, Ohio. Since 1971, WSCC has grown from four graduates in its first year to more than 10,000 alumni. With more than 1,700 students, the College offers a variety of educational opportunities, including both associate degrees and certificates, to students and members of the surrounding communities.
WSCC boasts one of the highest graduation rates among all 23 community colleges in Ohio. As a comprehensive college, WSCC is committed to the growth and vitality of the region. Through quality, affordable education and training opportunities, cultural activities, and community service, the College enriches the lives of its students and their families, inspiring people to reach their full potential.
For more information about Washington State Community College, visit our about page.
Marietta is the first permanent settlement in the Northwest Territory and has been cited as one of the best “adventure towns” in the country by National Geographic. Marietta’s small town charm and natural beauty provide the perfect backdrop for mountain biking and hiking adventures, or exploring the art galleries and museums of downtown Marietta.
Candidates applying by January 6, 2021, will be considered in the first-round interview selection process
To apply for this position:
- Please email a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and the WSCC Online Employment Application, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include your name and the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
- Positions will remain open until a candidate is placed in the position and/or until the College closes the search.
- Only those submissions that are complete, as outlined within this application process and submitted by the application deadline posted, will be included in the initial consideration.
- All other submissions may be considered, if the screening process has not been initiated and/or completed.
- If hired, official transcripts will be requested and required.