Medical Billing & Medical Coding Certificate Program
Medical billers and medical coders are vital to healthcare facilities because they understand insurance contracts, official coding guidelines, and payment models to ensure the receipt of proper reimbursement for services provided to patients. Additionally, they act as patient advocates to confirm patients have been billed for services correctly and the medical codes accurately describe procedures performed and types of visits that occurred.
The Medical Billing and Coding Certificate program at WSCC is just three-semesters and fully online. With credentials built into the curriculum, you will be equipped you with the knowledge and skills necessary to gain employment. The curriculum is designed for a seamless transition to those who want to build on their knowledge and earn an associate degree in Health Information Management Technology.
Upon successful completion of the Medical Billing and Coding Certificate program, students are eligible to sit for the following external certification exams:
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Certified Coding Associate (CCA) Exam
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Certified Coding Specialists (CCS) Exam
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Certified Coding Specialists (CCS-P) Exam
- Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) Certified Revenue Cycle Representative (CRCR) Exam
- American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Exam
- American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC) Exam
*No coding experience required, however, two years of coding experience is recommended by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
**Associate degree recommended
- American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Professional Biller (CPB) Exam
*Associate degree recommended
- American Medical Billing Association (AMBA) Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialist Certification (CMRS) Exam
*Exam Note: must have two years coding experience
- Complete a Washington State Community College application for admission.
- Must be a high school graduate or possess a GED Certificate.
- Submit an official high school transcript or GED Certificate, and official transcripts from any college(s) attended.
- Complete an application for the Medical Billing & Coding Certificate program.
- Submit three (3) non-family references.
- Successfully completed the one-week free online readiness course. (Starts Monday @ 8:00am and ends Saturday @ 5:00pm every week.
- Completed H.S. Algebra II (or higher) or MATH 0106.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher when applying, and upon program entry.
- This program must be completed in a sequence of consecutive semesters.
- A grade of “C” or above is required in all courses.
Nationally and regionally, the future outlook for careers in Medical Billing & Coding is above the national average. Credentials earned through this program are national credentials, which means you can apply outside of the state you reside for employment and have a valid credential.