So you’re a high school student who’s interested in going to college, but maybe you need a little extra help turning that dream into reality - maybe you’re the first person in your family who ever wanted to get a college degree, or maybe you know your family just can’t afford to send you to college. That’s where Upward Bound comes into play.
This is a FREE program 100% funded through the U.S Department of Education. Our Upward Bound Academy provides academic, social, cultural, recreational, and counseling services to give you the skills, motivation, and self-confidence you’ll need in college.
There are some specific criteria to be eligible.
- You must attend high school in Washington or Morgan county
- You must meet one of the following criteria:
- Neither parent has earned a bachelor's (four year) degree; OR
- Your family's income does not exceed the federal guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Education.
- You must truly desire to pursue your college dreams and make a sincere commitment to participate fully in the program.
The ACADEMIC component is designed to support student's academic needs. Students meet with an Upward Bound Advisor monthly during their school day and get together one Saturday per month at Washington State Community College to develop study and leadership skills, prepare for the ACT college entrance test, and to explore the college planning process. Students have opportunities to take field trips and participate in cultural/recreational activities. All activities are designed to assist students in their academic success throughout high school as well as their college and career search goals.
The SUMMER component is a six week residential academy designed to mirror a college-like experience. Students live on the Marietta College campus and take interesting courses at Washington State Community College, including instruction in Math, English, a lab-science and a foreign language. While living on campus, students will enjoy diverse social activities and travel opportunities.
Fill it out and send it directly to us. You can send it via snail mail, email, FAX or drop it by our office located in the Arts & Sciences Building:
Upward Bound College Prep Academy
Washington State Community College
710 Colegate Drive
Marietta, OH 45750
WSCC’s Upward Bound College Prep Academy is among eight programs in the Federal TRIO Program that is funded 100% with an annual budget of $312,480 from the US Department of Education.
Summer Residential Academy
To give you a taste of college life, during the summer, we have a six-week residential program. You’ll get to live on the Marietta College campus and take some fun, hands-on, project based classes here on our campus. And to make sure you have fun, we’ve planned lots of exciting social activities, travel and experiences.
Classes during the summer include:
- Algebra I
- Algebra II
- Science Exploration
- Foreign Language
- Study Skills
- Know How 2 Go Ohio - This site offers encouragement, inspiration and direction to prepare you to go to college.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - To be eligible for nearly every type of financial aid, you are required to fill out a FAFSA. Start here.
- ACT Website - The official Website for the ACT Test. Information on testing dates and test preparation.
- Fastweb - Free search engine for scholarships.
- Ecampustours - websites that provide virtual tours of several college campuses across the nation.
- Ohio Means Jobs - Plan your future! Here you can take a career interest survey, explore career information, build a budget to learn about the cost of living on your own, and more.
Are you taking a class that has you hitting a wall? We know that sometimes all it takes is a little extra help to get you through a tough class. That’s why we offer our Academy students FREE tutoring.
Tutors are available to assist you with homework. And if you need to get ready to take the ACT or SAT, our tutors can help with that, too.