The people who keep us on the move today are more than just mechanics. Today's technicians are skilled in all aspects of vehicle service, maintenance, and business operations of the garage. Employers in the automotive and diesel truck fields are looking for well-rounded employees with management and mechanical skills.
Our automotive technology program features a large laboratory with state-of-the-art equipment for practical, hand-on experience. Students learn the use of conventional tools, as well as the new computerized engine analyzers. They explore every aspect of auto and diesel truck operations by servicing and repairing working vehicles and components. The entire program is reinforced with business management skills, including the use of computers in the service and parts area.
- Demonstrate professional work habits such as:
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Cooperation with co-workers
- SafetyASE certification info
- Diagnose and repair electrical and mechanical problems using the appropriate service
- Diagnose, repair, rebuild automatic transmissions, manual transmissions, and drive lines with limited supervision.
- Measure engine parts using proper measuring instruments.
- Perform complete brake service, including anti-lock brake systems.
- Diagnose and repair steering and suspension problems, including alignment procedures with limited supervision.
- Perform duties of a service writer and service technician with limited supervision.
- Disassemble, inspect and rebuild gas and diesel engines using the appropriate service information.
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt to new technology and pass ASE Certification tests.
- Automotive Technician
- Diesel Technician
- Field Test Technician
- Service Technician
- Parts Manager
- Service Manager
- Sales Positions
Course listings with descriptions of each class may be found in the Washington State Community College Catalog.
Successful completion of the Automotive Services program leads to an Associate of Applied Science degree.
Automotive Technician Certificate
A certificate in automotive technician is available to those students who complete the first year of the program
Contact to learn more:
740.374.8716, ext. 1853